EXECUTIVE PLENARY SESSION:
World Energy Challenges: Endurance and Commitment
Monday, 7 December
With the global economic crisis and uncertainty now in full swing, the energy industry is poised to enter a new phase of its growth facing huge challenges due to the significant drop in demand for oil and gas and energy products across the world. This has led to a dramatic reduction in the hydrocarbon prices, which led to the reconsideration of the investment conditions and resulting in postponing few of the major complex and costly projects. On the other hand, it is clear that long-term energy demand will continue to surge, thanks to a growing global population of over 3 billion and the rising standards of living, especially in places like China and India.
This executive plenary session will focus on how to:
- Provide assurance that the industry will continue to meet the growing demand for energy and that supplies will be sustainable in the future.
- Maintain stable investment conditions to secure funding to develop the current and future energy resources, particularly the more difficult and unconventional resources.
- Ensure the recruitment and retention of the people with the skills and expertise to meet those demands.
- Confirm the commitment for exploring more efficient ways of producing energy and cleaner fuels and in mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from energy processes.
- Mitigate the negative effects of the global economic and political volatility and how to turn this short term financial crisis to an opportunity devoting resources to ensure that the production and use of fossil fuels becomes more efficient in operations and with the energy consumers.
- Stimulate companies to invest in new extraction and processing technologies to exploit unconventional and compositionally challenged hydrocarbon resources which will be needed in steadily growing quantities as supplied of conventional materials decline.
- Nasser K. Al-Jaidah, Chief Executive Officer, Qatar Petroleum International
- Yves-Louis Darricarrère, President Exploration and Production, Total
- Zhou Jiping, Vice President, China National Petroleum Corporation and President, PetroChina Company
- Guilherme de Oliveira Estrella, Chief Exploration & Production Officer, Petrobras
- Matthias Bichsel, Executive Committee Member and Director of Projects and Technology, Royal Dutch Shell
- Rich M. Kruger, President, ExxonMobil Production Company
- Saad Al-Kaabi, Director Oil and Gas Ventures, Qatar Petroleum